Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Drum

Have you ever seen a women and just thought, "Yeah, she's the one"?  Yeah I did too...though several pints of beer.  Nine months later Nina was born.  I love that kid, but her mom makes our life hell.  It's like living with a wolverine.  She spits, bites, yells, hits.  So it took me a few days to figure out that she had caught the Drum, but when I did, I didn't have any problems smashing an ax through her skull.  I felt at that point that I was actually one of the lucky ones...I didn't have to kill a loved one.  Folk all over Iowa were catching it.  They complained of a drumming in their head like too much blood was pumping through it.  Then they went crazy, like they just couldn't handle the pain and wanted to pass it along to some other poor fool.

I looked down at the mess on the floor and the rapidly growing pool of blood and then over at Nina.  She was staring wide eyed at me.  We both just looked at each other and she finally said, "What do we do now, Daddy?"  Gawd, I dunno.  The world's gone crazy.  How do I keep my little girl safe?

1 comment:

  1. Dang Ms. Melby, never knew you were this good of a writer. This is gold!!

    ReplyDelete